Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Thought, Therefore I Was

Don't know where it all started - some say I have always been there, and some say I was created and dropped here. And then there are a few who think I straightened up on my twos while jumping around on trees plucking fruits, and got my tail chopped and my brains sharpened in the process. Well, one truth prevails, I was different from any thing else that had walked, swum or flew on this planet. I was different that I could think, or so I thought. And I being superior of all, had this onerous task of demistifying life for the rest of the lesser mortals.

I do not remember my origins; there must be a higher force that created me, for I did not have it in my control to create life. In fact, was there anything ever that I could control? The thunder, the lightning, the rain, the fire, the day, the night, there had to be an explanation for it all. I realized how helpless I was and how ignorant. I should have known, since I was the one with brains. I could not see my own ignorance in its face, and so I covered it up by creating the term God; the one being, the one higher force I could associate it all to, and find solace in, and still feel in control, for I created Him.

There was one problem though, I was only a smaller part of MYSELF. There were other parts, each of them with its own explanation of life, and its own definition of God. How could my beliefs ever be true if not the whole of me accepted it? I was prepared to go to any extent to make my beliefs accepted as True. But so was everyone else.

I started to be at discomfort with myself. If I could not convince the whole of me, it probably made sense to make myself the Whole, and with this thought I took to the path of destruction, of eradicating those parts that did not agree with me. What I did not realize though, was that those I had undertaken to eradicate were as much a part of the Whole as I was, and the 'I' would not exist without any of these. In effect, I had become self destructive.

Today I am in no position to explain life, and bereft of it, I am in no position to explain the lack of it either. For all my thought and imagination, between life and death, I still remain as ignorant and unaware as I had begun. If anything, it was my thoughtless imagination that led me from a Being into a Been. I thought therefore I was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the ending especially how you justify the "I thought therefore I was". By the way - Are you still thinking? ;)

dilip said...

Welcome to blogosphere!!! Nice to see you here...
And profound thought the first post itself..:) Nicely written, Setting the benchmark for urself?..:)
Yes, With this post U did manage to stimulate some thoughts and also brought in a smile simultaneously...
BTW "I Thought, Therefore i was" - Since it refers to the past, Does it mean u have stooped thinking and hence no longer exist? ;-) hehe The fact that u have written this post means that you are still thinking but maybe thoughts have changed...:):)

Sagar said...

Thanks Dilip. Thanks YouKnowWho.

The 'I' stands not for myself but for mankind in general. Have tried looking into a crystal ball to predict the future, hence relatively things have happened in the past.

I still continue to be, and I continue to think. Not sure if I think therefore I am, or if I am therefore I think. :-)